The Honors Institute hosts multiple events and makes many important announcements throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
NEW: Each semester the Honors Institute Student Organization (HISO) raises money to pay for the Honors classes of deserving students.
Check back throughout the semester to apply (application will be made available mid-way through the semester)
Spring 2013 winner announced: Congratulations Stephanie Nunes!
NEW: The Honors Student Resource Center at PRC has moved to a larger, more convenient area! The new location is F-135, directly across from the bookstore in Founder's Hall. It will be open fall 2014 and will contain:
- more computers! - a printer for free printing! - a quiet study space! - a social space!
NEW: Apply here to have a fall 2014 Honors class paid for by the HISO Excellence Fund SCHOLARSHIP!
NEW: Attention Health Science students!!!!! The Honors Institute to proud to announce the BONUS POINTS INITIATIVE. Here's how it works:
The Programs listed below have agreed to apply "bonus" points to the applications of students wishing to apply to their Program, if students take select HONORS classes.
Surgical Technology and Dental Hygiene:
1 point for earning a B grade
2 points for earning an A grade
Respiratory Care and Polysmonographic Technology:
1 point for earning either an A or B grade
1/2 point for earning a B grade
1 point for earning an A grade
Please check with your Program to find out which classes they accept and then check the Honors schedule to see which are offered each semester.
When viewing the on-line Collin schedule, search specifically for Honors classes by:
1) highlighting all SUBJECTS
2) clicking HONORS in the "attribution type" box.
Remember, if you have Program-specific questions regarding the Bonus Points Initiative, please contact the Program directly.
NEW: The spring 2014 Honors Reception on May 7, 2014 was a huge success!
Congratulations to Traci Bawcom, Tram Cao, & Melwin Zachariah: winners of the annual Honors Core Values Awards!
Congratulations to Eric Carlson, Professor of Communication Studies: winner of the Honors Faculty Member of the Year Award!
NEW: The HISO-sponsored End-of-the-Semester Study Party on May 9, 2014, was a huge success!
Thank you to Jonell Gascoige and Alan Weier forworking so diligently on the:
- free healthy snacks provided!
- private study spaces provided!
- yoga and meditation provided!
- tutoring provided!
Thank you to the Writing Center and Math Tutors for providing tutoring all day!
NEW: The Spring 2014 Honors schedule is ready for viewing! You can find it on our homepage and on our schedule page.
Please make note of the class(es) you want to take and register or them exactly as you would your other classes. It's that easy!
Congratulations to the 2013 Honors Scholarship recipients, Kieu Nguyen and Nina Cook!
Honors T-shirts are on sale in the Collin bookstores. Buy a shirt and wear it on Wednesdays to show your school spirit and pride in the Honors Institute. ____________________________________________________________________
Three-Tiered Honors Benefits System
1) Collin students with a 3.5 or higher GPA who are currently enrolled in Honors classes receive all Honors benefits, including free printing, use of private study and computer labs on all three campuses, priority registration, access to Articulation Agreements, Honors designation on transcripts, and nomination consideration for Honors-designated scholarships each semester.
2) Collin students with a 3.5 or higher GPA who are notcurrently enrolled in Honors classes receive some Honors benefits, including free printing, use of private study and computer labs on all three campuses, and priority registration. They do not receive access to Articulation Agreements, Honors designation on transcripts, or nomination consideration for Honors-designated scholarships each semester.
3) Collin students with a 3.3 or higher GPA are eligible to become members of HISO (the Honors Institute Student Organization). These students have the opportunity to participate in the creation of the Honors class schedule, volunteer opportunities, services engagements, mentoring, networking, etc.
Contact Alexandra Fleming, HISO President, with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to the 2013 - 2014 HISO Executive Board!
President: Jonelle Gascoigne
Vice President: Allen Weier
Treasurer: Kieu Nguyen
Secretary: Jocelyn Van Haeren
PR: Alle Mims
The Honors Institute is excited to announce "Honors Institute Student Resource Centers" are now open on all three Collin campuses!
CPC: D-206 & 207
PRC: F-240 (inside the F-233 suite)
*these spaces offer computers, free printing, and a place for Honors students (only) to relax, study, & socialize.
The Honors Institute is excited to announce "Honors Classrooms" are now open on all three Collin campuses!
PRC: D-148 & 164; F-172
*Most Honors classes on this campus will take place in this dedicated classroom. Check the bulletin board for Honors announcements and events.