The Honors Institute hosts multiple events and makes many important announcements throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
NEW: Collin Honors students are invited to tour UTD and speak with Admissions Officers about the Honors College and scholarships! Click here for more details about this exciting and free event open only to Collin Honors students.
NEW: Great new information for all students with a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA -
You are now able to register online on the FIRST DAY of registration, if you are registering for at least 1 Honors class in the process.
Again, you no longer have to come to campus to be manually registered, you may do it yourself online, and you no longer have to wait to start registering for classes.
This is great news for Honors students, congratulations!!
NEW: How to take advantage of the Honors benefits, such as free printing, scantrons, private study rooms, etc.
The SCC and PRC Honors Resource Labs are open 8am - 5pm, Monday - Friday. All Honors students (those with a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA) may simply enter and use the space.
The CPC Honors Resource Lab is available only to Honors students who are currently enrolled in an Honors class. An access code is required to enter the space. Your Honors professor can give you that code.
NEW: Each semester the Honors Institute Student Organization (HISO) raises money to pay for the Honors classes of deserving students.
Congratulations to our spring 2014 HISO Excellence Fund winners:
Our Spring 2013 winner: Stephanie Nunes
To apply for this scholarship, click here.
NEW: Congratulations to the 2014 - 2015 HISO Executive Board!
President: Jonelle Gascoigne
Vice President: Allen Weier
Treasurer: Dima Alhesan
Secretary: Chaand Lakhani
PR: Victoria Lambo
CPC Liaison: Trey Gerwig PRC Liaison: Mariela Tanchez SCC Liaison: Collin Pollitt
If you are interested in running for one of these positions soon, please contact email@example.com.
NEW: The Honors Student Resource Center at PRC has moved to a larger, more convenient area! The new location is F-135, directly across from the bookstore in Founder's Hall. It will be open fall 2014 and will contain:
- more computers! - a printer for free printing! - a quiet study space! - a social space!
NEW: Attention Health Science students!!!!! The Honors Institute to proud to announce the BONUS POINTS INITIATIVE. Here's how it works:
The Programs listed below have agreed to apply "bonus" points to the applications of students wishing to apply to their Program, if students take select HONORS classes.
1 point for earning a B grade
2 points for earning an A grade
Respiratory Care and Dental Hygiene:
1 point for earning either an A or B grade
1/2 point for earning a B grade
1 point for earning an A grade
Please check with the specific Program to find out which classes they accept and then check the Honors schedule to see which are offered each semester.
When viewing the on-line Collin schedule, search specifically for Honors classes by:
1) highlighting all SUBJECTS
2) clicking HONORS in the "attribution type" box.
Remember, if you have Program-specific questions regarding the Bonus Points Initiative, please contact the Program directly.
The spring 2014 Honors Reception on May 7, 2014 was a huge success!
Congratulations to Traci Bawcom, Tram Cao, & Melwin Zachariah: winners of the annual Honors Core Values Awards!
Congratulations to Eric Carlson, Professor of Communication Studies: winner of the Honors Faculty Member of the Year Award!
The HISO-sponsored End-of-the-Semester Study Party was a huge success!
Thank you to Jonell Gascoige and Alan Weier for working so diligently on the:
- free healthy snacks provided!
- private study spaces provided!
- yoga and meditation provided!
- tutoring provided!
Thank you to the Writing Center and Math Tutors for providing tutoring all day!
Congratulations to the 2013 Honors Scholarship recipients, Kieu Nguyen and Nina Cook!
Honors T-shirts are on sale in the Collin bookstores. Buy a shirt and wear it on Wednesdays to show your school spirit and pride in the Honors Institute. ____________________________________________________________________
Three-Tiered Honors Benefits System
1) Collin students with a 3.5 or higher GPA who are currently enrolled in Honors classes receive all Honors benefits, including free printing, use of private study and computer labs on all three campuses, priority registration, access to Articulation Agreements, Honors designation on transcripts, and nomination consideration for Honors-designated scholarships each semester.
2) Collin students with a 3.5 or higher GPA who are not currently enrolled in Honors classes receive some Honors benefits, including free printing, use of private study and computer labs on all three campuses, and priority registration. They do not receive access to Articulation Agreements, Honors designation on transcripts, or nomination consideration for Honors-designated scholarships each semester.
3) Collin students with a 3.3 or higher GPA are eligible to become members of HISO (the Honors Institute Student Organization). These students have the opportunity to participate in the creation of the Honors class schedule, volunteer opportunities, services engagements, mentoring, networking, etc.
Contact Jonelle Gascoigne, HISO President, with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to the 2013 - 2014 HISO Executive Board!
President: Jonelle Gascoigne
Vice President: Allen Weier
Treasurer: Kieu Nguyen
Secretary: Jocelyn Van Haeren
PR: Alle Mims
The Honors Institute is excited to announce "Honors Institute Student Resource Centers" are now open on all three Collin campuses!
CPC: D-206 & 207
*these spaces offer computers, free printing, and a place for Honors students (only) to relax, study, & socialize.
The Honors Institute is excited to announce "Honors Classrooms" are now open on all three Collin campuses!
PRC: D-148 & 164; F-172
*Most Honors classes on this campus will take place in this dedicated classroom. Check the bulletin board for Honors announcements and events.