Welcome back, students! All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually,
blended, or in person.
View the College COVID-19 Restart Plan
Associate of Arts In Teaching (AAT)
Take your first steps toward becoming a teacher with an Associate of Arts in Teaching
(AAT) degree from Collin College.
Collin College offers degree plans with three different specializations: early childhood through Grade 6, middle grades (grades 4-8) and secondary (grades 6-12, 7-12 or 8-12, depending on teaching content area). Specializations will prepare students for transfer to a baccalaureate program that leads to initial Texas teacher certification.
Students seeking all-level certifications (early childhood through Grade 12) like special education, theater, and art, can transfer EDUC 1301 and EDUC 2301 to baccalaureate institutions. Students should check with transfer advisors for other course requirements.
Students who complete the AAT will also complete 32 observation hours in a public school classroom.
Some TECA courses may be transferable in addition to the AAT. Students should contact their intended teacher education program for detailed information prior to registering. Contact names and phone numbers are available from a Collin College academic advisor, or go to http://transferu.collin.edu.
EDUC 1301 and EDUC 2301 are offered in eight-week, sixteen-week, and weekend express formats. Courses are offered face-to-face and online. EDUC 1301 is a pre-requisite for EDUC 2301.
AAT Degree Requirements
For an AAT degree, you must meet the following requirements:
1. Earn a minimum of 60 college-level credit hours.
2. Complete the General Education Core of 42 credit hours.
3. Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0. Students should be aware that most four-year colleges require a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for admission to their teacher certification programs.
4. Earn a minimum of 18 credit hours at Collin College.
5. Complete all the courses listed for one of three AAT diplomas:
See the workforce Child Development (AAS) program.