Health Information Management
Selective Admission Requirements
Admission to the AAS - HIM program is selective and based on a point system. Admission is limited to 25 students per semester. Application deadlines are the 2nd Friday in November and 2nd Friday in May. The application is found on the HIM program website: www.collin.edu/him and should be submitted to the department office via email, fax, or mail by the appropriate deadline.
Eligibility requirements for application to AAS-HIM program:
- Complete Collin College Admission requirements
- Complete Collin College reading, writing and mathematics assessments, placing at the College-Level (TSI Testing).
- Overall GPA of 2.5. Please note that a grade of “C” or better must be earned in all HIM specific courses including HITT 1305, HITT 2471 and BIOL 2404.
- Successful completion of a 60% or higher on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), prior to Application Deadline, with satisfactory results. Registration details on the department webpage collin.edu/him
- Complete HIM packet.
A complete HIM packet includes:
- Completed HIM Application.
- Consent for background check.
- Consent for drug screening.
- Immunization documentation – List of required immunizations are on the HIM webpage Note: Hepatitis B is typically a 7 month process. The TB screen and flu vaccine have a 12 month expiration.
- Signed Functional Abilities / Core Performance Standards for Health Information Management Program - Clinical Expectations. Students who think they may not be able to meet the functional standards and need accommodation are encouraged to contact the college ACCESS department as soon as this program is of interest.
- A 500 word essay explaining why you have chosen to become a Health Information professional.
- Two letters of reference from employers or teachers (not family or friends) that can attest to your professionalism. Letters should be emailed to the Program Director.
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in all major course work and maintain a 2.5 GPA to continue in the HIM program.
All Clinical requirements may be found on the webpage at www.collin.edu/him.
Students who have been involved with the criminal system, please be advised that your background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or the department chair. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.