Selective Admission Requirements
- Complete pre-entrance course requirements with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses applicable to the Nursing program.
- Submit official copies of all college transcripts to include Collin College.
- Complete the PSB (Nursing School Aptitude Exam) prior to the Jan. 31st, March 31st or Aug. 31st deadline with a satisfactory result.
- Successful completion of drug screen, background check and physical / mental competencies, and dental exam.
- Submit a current American Heart Association CPR for Health Care workers.
- Provide a current negative TB test.
- Complete a declaratory order from the Texas BON, if needed.
- Show positive titer immunizations required by the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS). One of the required vaccinations, Hepatitis B, consists of a three dose series, which can take up to 7 months to complete. Individuals unable to receive the HBV must inform the Clinical Coordinator.
Students who have been involved with the criminal system, please be advised that your background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or the department chair. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.
If an individual has reason to believe he/she is ineligible for licensure, he/she may petition the Texas BON for a declaratory order. Upon application to the nursing program, you must show your eligibility to take the NCLEX-RN exam through outcomes letter that will be issued by the Texas BON if the declaratory order is approved. To check your eligibility, please review the following questions. If you answer “yes” to any one of the following questions, you must have the declaratory order from the Texas BON completed prior to applying to the nursing program.
- Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor (other than a class C misdemeanor traffic violation)?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
- Have you ever pled nolo contender, no contest, or guilty?
- Have you ever received deferred adjudication?
- Have you ever been placed on community supervision or court-ordered probation, whether or not adjudicated guilty?
- Have you ever been sentenced to serve jail or prison time or court-ordered confinement?
- Have you ever been granted pre-trial diversion?
- Have you ever been arrested or have any pending criminal charges?
- Have you ever been cited or charged with any violation of the law?
- Have you ever been subject of a court-martial; Article 15 violation; or received any form of military judgment, punishment, or action?
FUNCTIONAL ABILITIES / CORE PERFORMANCE STANDARDS STATEMENT
After initial acceptance to this program, all students are required to meet specific functional abilities - with or without accommodations - for successful completion of the program and to function safely and effectively in the variety of the profession’s settings. The specific functional requirements are found in the Functional Abilities / Core Performance Standards documents provided in the program information on the Nursing website http://www.collin.edu/nursing. Students who think they may not be able to meet the functional standards and need accommodation are encouraged to contact the college ACCESS department as soon as this program is of interest.Health Insurance – All nursing students are required to show proof of health insurance prior to starting clinical rotations each semester.