All students must complete the admission process required by Collin College. Prospective students applying to the Basic Peace Officer Program are classified as:  Sponsored and Non-Sponsored. Sponsored applicants are employed by a law enforcement agency, meet all the requirements of TCOLE Rule 217, and are being sent through the course by that law enforcement agency. Non-sponsored applicants include all other individuals applying to the Basic Peace Officer Program. 
Additional information may be obtained from the Collin College Law Enforcement Academy website at
  1. All prospective students must meet the “Minimum Enrollment Requirements” for training as a Texas Peace Officer as established by TCOLE Rule 217.1 Minimum Standards for Enrollment and Initial Licensure.  (See website at: for these requirements.)
  2. All sponsored students must provide a notarized letter signed by the head of the sponsoring law enforcement agency stating the student meets the minimum enrollment requirements as established by TCOLE.
  3. All non-sponsored applicants must successfully complete all phases of the Basic Peace Officer Program entrance assessment process, meet the minimum enrollment requirements established by TCOLE and be recommended by the oral board.
  4. State law requires all new students under the age of 22 entering a higher education institution to show proof of having the bacterial meningitis vaccination or booster 10 days prior to the start of term in which they are attending.
The Basic Peace Officer Program is offered in both a part-time and full-time format. The full-time day program requires 19 weeks for completion. The part-time program requires approximately 43 weeks for completion.. The classes are conducted at the Central Park Campus in McKinney, Texas.


Students who have been involved with the criminal system, please be advised that your background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas.  If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or the department chair. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.