All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, hybrid, or in person.
View College COVID-19 Information
Dental Assistant Training
The focus of the Dental Assistant Training will be on learning the techniques of dental theory and terminology, four-handed chair side procedures, exposing and processing dental radiographs (x-rays), introduction to digital and panoramic radiology, infection control standards, obtaining impressions of the oral cavity for the fabrication of study models and custom trays used for vital bleaching procedures, preparing dental materials, and fabrication of provisional coverage (temporary crowns).
- 100 hours of classroom and lab experience at the newly remodeled Dental Hygiene Clinic at the McKinney campus of Collin College
- 50 hours of clinical time at a local dental facility
- Students must successfully complete both classroom and clinical portions to be exam-eligible
- This dental assisting program is designed to prepare students to function effectively as an integral member of the dental health care team. The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) exam is included in this course. Students must bring a scantron for the exam.
Collin Pre-Admission Application Packet
Complete the Collin Pre-Admission Application Packet and email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2 weeks prior to the start of class. Late applications will be considered for the next available class.
Individuals will be selected to meet via Zoom for an interview with the Program Manager.
Selected individuals will be notified via email once authorization to enroll has been granted.
- Understand oral anatomy and dental terminology
- Understand x-ray theory and techniques (exposure methods, darkroom care and maintenance, x-ray safety)
- Develop x-rays
- Understand different impression materials and their uses
- Pour models and trim
- Use different sterilization techniques
- Participate in chairside assisting and suctioning
- Know different dental instruments and materials and their proper care and sterilization
- Make temporaries and wax bites
- Discuss dental emergencies and appropriate procedures
- Use proper telephone techniques and appointment book control
- Understand all aspects of billing
- File insurance forms and pre-treatment estimates
- Function effectively in many dental administrative and clerical positions
- Describe the roles of a professional dental assistant
- Manage health information and records according to privacy policies
- Identify the many dental instruments and their use
- Describe how to perform many dental assisting procedures
- Assist the dental office in the event of an emergency
The TSBDE RDA exam is included in the cost of this course. Students will need to purchase scantron forms from the bookstore before the course exam.
Course Number: DENT 5285
Course Hours: 100
Clinical Hours: 50
Insurance Liability: $5-$13 (non-refundable)
Black scrubs are required for class.
Once this course is successfully complete, please see the TSBDE Dental Assistant webpage for a list of requirements for obtaining your RDA license. To apply for the license, please fill out the online TSBDE Dental Assistant Permit Application Form and choose X-Ray. There is a $39 application fee.
Registered Dental Assistant