Collin College Logo
IEP Advising and FAQs
IEP Advising and Other FAQs
IEP Advising
Any Collin College student can register for SGNL 1401 or SLNG 1347, but all other SGNL and SLNG courses after that require a permit for registration. In order to obtain this permit, students must meet with an administrator for IEP advising.
Goals of IEP Advising:
  • Discuss IEP educational goals
  • Determine whether to pursue the AAS or Certificate option
  • Declare IEP as your degree plan
  • Determine course path
  • Obtain registration permit for IEP coursework

Please note that the IEP advisor does not register you for your classes. Once you finish the advising appointment, it is your responsibility to register yourself for the necessary coursework.

Scheduling an IEP appointment:

You must be a Collin College student before you can schedule an IEP advising appointment. Once you are a student, you can contact one of the two individuals listed below, based on the first letter of your last name:

  • If your last name begins with A-L, contact Linda Salazar-Moya at or by calling (972) 881-5876 in order to schedule an IEP advising appointment with Associate Dean Meredith Wang.
  • If your last name begins with M-Z, contact Professor Kenya Rutherford at to schedule an IEP advising appointment with her.


Other FAQs:

  • Does this program prepare me for state licensure as an American Sign Language interpreter? The Collin College IEP program prepares you for licensure in a few areas.
    • The Associate of Applied Science in IEP degree prepares students to take the BEI exam at the Basic Level. Passing this exam is required for obtaining state licensure as an ASL interpreter.
    • The Certificate in ASL Studies does not prepare students for the BEI evaluation, but does prepare them for taking the Texas Assessment of Sign Communication (TASC) (teachers of Deaf students) or the TASC-ASL (ASL teachers and bilingually certified teachers), which are exams for those who plan on working in Deaf Education.
  • Should I complete the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in IEP degree or the Certificate in ASL Studies? The AAS degree path is for students who want to work as ASL-English interpreters. This may include being a court interpreter, medical interpreter, etc. The Certificate path is for individuals who wish to work with Deaf students in an educational environment, such as a being special education teacher or serving as a teacher's aid. You can further explore this topic in your IEP advising appointment (see above).
  • Could I still pass the BEI with just the Certificate in ASL Studies? The Certificate does not prepare you for the BEI exam. If you plan on pursuing that licensure, you must complete the AAS degree.
  • Why does IEP use block scheduling? This creates predictability in course scheduling, letting you plan out your whole degree at once. Also, courses within the block schedule cannot be cancelled due to low enrollment, so your course is always guaranteed to meet.
  • What is the IEP Assessment? This is a mid-program assessment of your English and ASL skills to see how you are progressing in your ASL interpretation skills. The assessment is similar in structure to the BEI and RID certification exams. Based on the results, the student will be given resources on skills that may need reinforcement and improvement. Therefore, it is a great tool in preparing students for the licensure exams.
  • I want to enroll in this program. Where do I start? Step 1 is always gaining admission to the college. If you are not yet a Collin College student (with CWID), you can apply to the college online here. Once you are a student and you have completely taken care of the admissions process, you'll need to schedule an IEP advising appointment. See the IEP Advising section above for more information.


Back to IEP Home Page