On April 6, 1985, the voters of Collin County went to the polls and approved the establishment of the Collin County Community College District. It was a momentous day in the history of Collin County, and what is now known as Collin College has grown to serve more than 56,000 credit and continuing education students each year.
So April 6 is a date that carries historical significance for all of us who are a part of Collin College. That’s why we’ve designated it as Founders Day – a time when we can reflect on, and remember, the events that changed the face of education in Collin County.
EARLY MILESTONES IN COLLIN COLLEGE HISTORY
- October 1: A signature drive is launched to promote the establishment of a community college district in Collin County. To succeed, 12,000 signatures need to be obtained by November 15. More than 25,000 signatures are collected.
- April 6: The citizens of Collin County approve the creation of the Collin County Community College District. Of the 9,546 votes cast, 60.64% are in favor.
- April 19: The first Board of Trustees is sworn in.
- April 30: The board approves a tax for the district and sets the tax rate at eight cents.
- August 15: Dr. John Anthony begins his tenure as the first president of the Collin County Community College District.
- Sept. 3: The first classes begin and are held in local high school classrooms.
- October 28: Renovation construction begins on the newly purchased Osmond Plaza in McKinney, which became the foundation for the Central Park Campus (now known as McKinney Campus).
- Jan 13: The McKinney Campus opens.
- April 19: An open house and dedication take place at the McKinney Campus.
- December 6: Groundbreaking takes place for the Spring Creek Campus (now known as Plano Campus).
- May 16: Twelve graduates are recognized at the first commencement exercises, which take place on the McKinney Campus.
Check out our 35th Anniversary History Book
Click on the image to read the book
Revisit the Early Days of Collin College
Click on the images below to view historical milestones