Academic Advising

Advising Session Checklist  
   Bring photo I.D.
       2.    Bring transcripts for evaluation.
       3.    Write down questions.
       4.    Complete admission paperwork.
       5.    Allow sufficient time to be advised.

Selecting a Program of Study
If you don't know your program of study, an advisor will help you choose general classes.

       1.  Your program of study determines your math and science pathway for courses.
       2.  Career Services can help you explore programs of study.
       3.  You may declare or change a program of study in the student tab of Cougar Connect or at the Admissions and Records Office (ARO).

Selecting a Semester Class Load
Full-time= 12-18 hours; 3/4 time= 9-11 hours; and 1/2 time= 6-8 hours

Sh (semester hour) or cr (credit hour) are the number of hours earned for a class. Example: the 3 in Math 1314 is the number of sh/cr received. Courses that begin with a "0" are not counted for credit. Example: Math 0310 is a noncredit developmental course. Noncredit classes are not transferable. Most insurance companies and financial aid offices count noncredit hours for enrollment. Noncredit classes may increase the number of semesters to graduate.
Full-Time  Students may enroll in a maximum of 18 sh per long semester. New students are strongly encouraged to take between 12 -15 credits for their first term. Hours required by insurance companies and financial aid offices may vary. Please consider the following before scheduling classes:

  • work
  • family responsibilities
  • personal situations

Scheduling Classes
An academic advisor can help you schedule classes.
        1.  If you are not an early morning person or a late evening person, do not schedule classes at these times.
        2.  A science lab takes as much time as a lecture class.
        3.  Check for prerequisites (a class you must take first) or co-requisites (a class you must take at the same time).
        4.  Working adults may want to consider distance learning, night or Saturday classes.

 Withdrawal or Dropping of Classes
        1.  Before altering your schedule, speak to your instructor and an academic advisor. They may offer other options.
        2.  Keep the withdrawal slip and check for the withdrawal / drop on your transcript.

Academic Holds
Holds Placed by Other Departments Holds that are placed on a student's account by another department cannot be removed by an academic advisor. The student will need to contact the department that placed the hold.

No Repeat Holds  A student may attempt to take a class twice after 2002. This includes withdrawals. A No Repeat hold indicates that a student has attempted a class twice after 2002. To graduate from Collin, the student will need to take the class at another college and transfer it back to Collin for credit.

Unsatisfactory Academic Progress Holds  Students with unsatisfactory academic progress holds must see a full-time academic advisor at one of the campuses before the probation deadline to be cleared to register. Once they have been cleared to register students have until late registration to enroll for classes. Please refer the the Maximizing Academic Progress Program (MAPP) page for more detailed information.