Collin College Logo
Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for federal student aid (grants, loans and work-study funds), students have to meet certain requirements.


General eligibility requirements include:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

  • Have a valid Social Security number* (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States on Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)

  • Have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a GED certificate or completed high school in a home-school setting approved under state law

  • Be registered with Selective Service if you’re a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)

  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as defined by the college

  • Cannot be in default on a federal student loan or owe money on a federal grant (overpayment)

  • Be able to document any unusual enrollment history (UEH)

  • Not have a recent drug-related conviction or have resolved the issue according to the U.S. Department of Education’s policies

  • Sign a statement that you will only use federal student aid for educationally related purposes

  • Complete/accept the Terms and Conditions in your CougarWeb.


Additional Factors that Could Affect Eligibility

*If you do not meet federal eligibility requirements regarding citizenship, but have been classified as a Texas resident and therefore eligible to pay the Texas in-state tuition rate,  you may still be eligible for state aid. You should submit a Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA), which can be downloaded from our forms page.

The federal Pell grant program is limited to six years of full-time enrollment, or its equivalent. You can check how much Pell Grant eligibility you have used by visiting  In addition, students who have earned a Bachelor's degree are no longer eligible for Pell Grant.

The federal Stafford Loan program limits eligibility for the subsidized loan to 150 percent of your program's hours.  Additional information regarding this limit can be found at

Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.  If you are listed in the system as non-degree seeking and would like to receive financial aid, please submit a degree request form to Admissions to have your status updated.

Enrollment Requirements

In order to be eligible for certain types of aid, you must meet enrollment requirements:

  • With the exception of Pell Grant and FSEOG, students must be enrolled and attending at least half-time to receive their financial aid.  In some cases, such as a high expected family contribution (EFC), even  students who are designated Pell Grant eligible would not be eligible if they were only enrolled in one class. 

           For financial aid students (NOT VA students), half-time is 6 credit hours.

  • Students' classes are considered eligible for financial aid if:

           The student is enrolled and attending as of the census date of the semester, and

           The class is required for the student's degree or certificate program, and

           For repeat classes, the student has only taken and passed the class 1 other time,

           If developmental, the student has not exceeded 30 hours of developmental