7/16/18, 7:45 p.m. -- Power has been restored on our Spring Creek Campus in Plano.
Classes will resume and offices will open as scheduled on Tuesday, 7/17.
Employee Benefits at Collin College
Collin College Benefits
As a full-time employee of Collin College, many benefits are available to you including healthcare coverage, retirement, opportunities for professional development, free parking, and many others. Most of these benefits are free to you and available to your dependents for a fee. For assistance or questions, call Christina Canales at 972.599.3164 or e-mail email@example.com.
Medical/Health insurance coverage is available including traditional coverage with a point-of-service (POS) United Healthcare of Texas plan. Collin pays the employee's coverage with optional dependent coverage available at the employee’s expense. Medical coverage on the employee for health, prescription, vision, and basic life insurance coverage begins the first of the month after 60 days of employment. Medical coverage for eligible dependents can begin that date too, if the employee enrolls dependents within 30 days of employment. Coverage besides those tied to the medical coverage (health, prescription, vision, basic life) can be effective on the employee’s first day, if elected on the first day, or on the first of the month after the first 30 days, if elected within the first 30 days.
Prescription Drug Coverage
The medical plan covers prescription medications using a prescription drug card. New prescriptions may be obtained through a participating pharmacy or through the mail order service.
One annual eye exam per year is covered under the medical plan. Additionally, discount benefits on glasses, contacts, and LASIK are available through certain discount providers found at this website: Vision Discount Benefits
Basic Term Life Insurance
Enrollment in medical insurance includes $5,000 basic life insurance.
Collin College pays for employee dental coverage, if elected, and the employee may choose between a traditional dental plan, a dental HMO plan, and a dental discount plan. The employee is responsible for the premiums of the dental discount plan. Employee-paid coverage for dependents is also available.
Optional Employee-Paid Insurance Coverage
- Supplemental term life insurance in multiples of one to four times annual salary.
- Dependent term life insurance of $5,000 (doubles in event of accidental death).
- Accidental death and dismemberment coverage for individual or family.
- Short-term disability coverage; provides up to 66% of regular insured monthly salary up to $10,000 for up to five months for qualified disabilities and after 30 days of continuous disability and exhaustion of available sick leave.
- Long-term disability coverage; plan provides up to 60% of regular insured salary up to $10,000 and up to age 65 for qualified disabilities after 180 days of continuous disability and exhaustion of available sick leave.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Tax sheltered reimbursement accounts can be established for eligible out-of-pocket medical/dental or dependent care expenses.
Voluntary Retirement Savings Plans
403(b) Tax-Deferred Annuity (TDAs), a 403(b) Roth Plan, and a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan are available using mutual funds and/or annuities.
Eligible employees participate in one of the following state retirement plans in lieu of Social Security:
Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS)
Pre-tax employee contribution and additional state contribution
Five year vesting for retirement income benefit
Disability retirement and death benefit provided
Optional Retirement Program (ORP)
Available to teaching faculty and certain administrators as an alternative to TRS
Pre-tax employee contribution and additional state and college contributions
One year and one day vesting period
Paid Leave Benefits
- Sick Leave accrues monthly at eight (8) hours for full-time benefit-eligible employees; may accumulate up to 720 hours
- Vacation accrues monthly for eligible staff starting at eight (8) hours per month
- Personal Leave is provided at 3 days per fiscal year, however, it is prorated the first year based on your hire date
- Holidays provided are normally 14-16 paid staff holidays per fiscal year
- Sabbatical leave for eligible faculty and staff
- Sick leave pool and more...
- Pre-Taxing of Insurance Premiums and Tex-Flex
- Local Banking Discounts & Membership Benefits
- 9-Month Pay Option for Faculty in Lieu of 12-Month Spread
- Employee Discounts on a Variety of Goods, Services, Auto and Home Insurance
- Library Privileges
- Employee Development Opportunities
- Training Programs and Workshops of General Interest
- Out-of-County Tuition Waiver (Employee & Dependents)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Class Time for Certain Job-Related Courses
- Fitness Facilities (Tennis/Racquetball/Basketball Courts, Circuit Weight Training)
- Wellness Programs
- Free Parking
- Tobacco/Smoke-Free Facilities