Career Week 2006 Provides Roadmap For The Workplace
March 16, 2006 - The route toward finding one's career can be long and winding.
Collin County Community College District (Collin) wants to take some of the bumps out of the road for individuals during Career Week 2006: Travels in Careering Monday, April 3-Thursday, April 6.
The purpose of the string of events is to provide information and tips toward finding the perfect careering and scoring that ideal job. All Career Week events are free and open to the public.
- Thursday, March 30 and Monday, April 3 - Career Week 2006 Kick-Off events are scheduled for the Spring Creek, Preston Ridge and Central Park campuses from 9:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Representatives from the U.S. Army and a couple Dallas Maverick cheerleaders will be on hand at the Spring Creek Campus welcome event Monday, April 3 with giveaways and games.
- Monday, April 3 - Start Your Engines: Destination Professional Image will be from 12:30-1:45 p.m. at the Spring Creek Campus Conference Center. Workshops include: Image Roadsigns - Presence, Appearance and Communication; and Career Wardrobe on a Shoestring Budget.
- Tuesday, April 4 - "On the Road with Dr. Otto Kroeger and the Personality Map" will feature the renowned speaker, author and personality expert. He is an organizational consultant and an expert of the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator. He will be at the Central Park Campus cafeteria from 8:30 -10 a.m.; Preston Ridge Campus Event Center from 11:30 am.-1 p.m.; and the Spring Creek Campus Conference Center from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 5 - Students will have the opportunity to interview area professionals about their career paths, making career choices and being passionate about their occupation. These sessions called Roadtrip Interviews allow individuals to better understand how to get from point A to point B. Roadtrip Interviews will be held at the Spring Creek Campus Conference Center from 10 a.m.-noon with "Highways to Science" and from 1-3 p.m. with "Side Roads to Psychology and Sociology Careers."
- Thursday, April 6 - "Speedbumps & Detours: Successful Careers for Travelers with dis-ABILITIES" is an opportunity for individuals to interview professionals who have encountered difficult challenges along their career route. This is from 10 a.m.-noon at the Spring Creek Campus Conference Center.
"Leadership Lessons from Career Travels - Conversations with a Road Warrior" features leadership consultant and author Roy Alston from 11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. at the Preston Ridge Campus Event Center. Attendees may bring a lunch to Alston's presentation. Dessert and refreshments will be provided.
The Central Park Campus is located at 2200 W. University Drive in McKinney; the Preston Ridge Campus is at 9700 Wade Blvd. in Frisco; and the Spring Creek Campus is at 2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway in Plano.
Career Week 2006 is hosted by the Collin Career Services and Co-op and Student Life with the Career Week Task Force.
For more information on Career Week activities, call 972.881.5781.
Collin County Community College District (Collin) serves more than 40,000 credit and continuing education students annually and offers more than 100 degree and certificate programs. The only public college in the county, Collin is a partner to business, government and industry, providing customized training and work force development.