Collin College Invites Public To Celebrate Dr. King At Breakfast
January 9, 2008 – Collin College invites the community to participate in celebrating the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the annual Power Leadership Breakfast honoring the civil rights leader at 7:45 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 21 at the Spring Creek Campus Conference Center, 2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway in Plano.
The free event will feature a panel discussion among community leaders including: Florence Shapiro, State Senator; Pat Evans, Plano mayor; John Roach Sr., Collin County district attorney; Harry LaRosiliere, Plano councilman; Phyllis Cole, Collin County commissioner; and Duncan Webb, Plano ISD Board of Trustees president.
In addition to the breakfast, a Youth Forum will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 21 in the John Anthony Theatre at the Spring Creek Campus.
Aside from Collin College’s MLK activities, the community has planned several other free events throughout January to pay homage to Dr. King such as:
- Saturday, Jan. 19, 10 a.m. – Morning parade (starts at corner of Ave. K and Parker Rd.).
- Saturday, Jan. 19, 11 a.m. – Plano City Hall program, City Hall Chambers, 1520 Ave. K.
- Saturday, Jan. 19 – Health Fair at the Douglas Community Center (following the parade).
- Sunday, Jan. 20, 7 p.m. – Evening Celebration at Saint Andrew United Methodist Church, 1401 Mira Vista Blvd. in Plano.
- Monday, Jan. 21 7:45 a.m. – Leadership Breakfast at Collin College, Spring Creek Campus Conference Center, 2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway in Plano.
- Monday, Jan. 21, 10:30 a.m. – Youth Forum at Collin College, John Anthony Theatre, Spring Creek Campus.
- Thursday, Jan. 24, 7-8:15 p.m. – Plano ISD MLK Tribute at Plano Centre
Collin County Community College District (Collin College) serves about 44,000 credit and continuing education students annually and offers more than 100 degree and certificate programs. The only public college in the county, Collin College is a partner to business, government and industry, providing customized training and work force development.