General Information for Students

Transitioning from High School to College

The successful transition of students with disabilities from high school to college is a team effort.  There are many differences between high school and college that you should be aware of before beginning your college journey. Please review: "High School vs. College" for a point-by-point comparison of the differences between high school and college.

Since, you are a First Time Collin College Student please see the  step by step Collin Admission Procedures.


ACCESS Registration Process

Students with disabilities seeking accommodations must identify themselves to the ACCESS Office. Students will need to obtain documentation of their disability that meets the specified guidelines, complete an ACCESS Application/Request for Services, and make an appointment to meet with an ACCESS Advisor to begin the Intake process.

The Intake Process or initial meeting includes a brief review of the submitted documentation and verifying the need for academic accommodations by an ACCESS Advisor, as well as a review of the student’s educational goals and the academic programs available. If the need for accommodations is substantiated by the documentation, the student and ACCESS Advisor will generate a list of reasonable academic accommodations for review by the ACCESS Review Committee.

The Determination of Appropriate Accommodations rests with the ACCESS Review Committee. and is based on a review of all submitted documentation. In most cases, documentation should be no more than three years old, except as noted in the Documentation Guidelines. If you do not agree with the Review Team’s determination please contact the ACCESS Advisor and request an appeal.  Students are also welcome to refer to the “Student Complaint and Grievance Policy” in the Student Handbook, or online if they do not agree with the Review Committee's determination.

It is the Responsibility of the Student to obtain additional information or testing if it is required to determine eligibility for accommodations. The cost of providing documentation is the responsibility of the student. Documentation must be provided by a licensed professional who is qualified to diagnose such disabilities.  The ACCESS office does not provide testing.

Students who provide documentation but do not complete the intake process, or are not admitted to Collin College are not eligible to receive accommodations. In such cases, the ACCESS Advisor will make a reasonable effort to contact the student. If the student does not respond within thirty days or chooses not to complete the intake process, the student’s disability documentation will not be retained.

All information obtained in diagnostic and medical reports will be maintained and used in accordance with applicable confidentiality requirements. Any third party documentation submitted to the ACCESS office may not be re-released. College policy reclassifies any student not enrolled for five full years as inactive. Records of inactive students will not be retained and the student may be subject to requalification of eligibility.