Writing Center consultants will assist students in learning how to:
- Understand the assignment and professor’s expectations.
- Brainstorm, plan, and/or organize ideas for a writing assignment.
- Construct a thesis statement, topic sentence, or determine the focus of the paper.
- Develop and connect supporting ideas to the main idea or thesis statement.
- Apply proper citation methods for MLA, APA, or Chicago.
- Take ownership of the paper and the ideas contained in the paper.
- Develop the ability to revise independently.
Writing Center consultants will not write papers for students, proofread or edit papers, judge papers according to grade, or guarantee a quick “fix” for students' writing problems.
Should students need to cancel a scheduled appointment, in order to avoid penalties, they must cancel by telephone or in person at least one hour prior to their appointment times.
Note: Beginning November 9, the OWL DropBox will extend its turnaround time for student essays submitted from three days to four. Students must plan accordingly. The SCC (D203), PRC (LH141), and CPC (A104) Writing Centers are always available to help students in-house. Students can make an appointment via telephone, SCC@ 972-881-5843, PRC @972-377-1576 CPC@972-548-6857 or come to one of the Collin College writing centers to schedule Monday-Saturday. Walk-in appointments are available at SCC.
FREE WORKSHOPS (by campus):
Follow Us on Facebook