Collin College Writing Centers
Online Writing Tutor
Welcome to the Online Writing Lab.
If you're a current student of Collin College and need help with your writing, you've come to the right place.
Select a link on the right menu to access online tutoring. Before choosing a link, please review the 'Owl Systems' information below so you can pick the resource most appropriate for your needs.
OWL consultants will assist students in learning how to:
- Construct a thesis statement, topic sentence, or determine the focus of the paper.
- Develop and connect supporting ideas to the main idea, or thesis statement.
- Determine the cohesiveness of the paper, holistically, and suggest ways to improve sentence structure or the connection of ideas.
- Answer questions pertaining to topics such as MLA, grammar, structure, and main ideas (thesis sentence or topic sentences).
- Understand the assignment and brainstorm, plan, and organize ideas for a writing assignment in a virtual tutoring session.
Owl Consultants will not write papers for students, proofread or edit papers, judge papers according to grade, or guarantee a quick “fix” for students' writing problems.
OWL Systems (right menu):
'VirtualMuse' is an online synchronous appointment system where students and consultants use audio and chat functions to review essays in real time. Students may make one virtual appointment with a writing consultant per week. Students should upload their drafts at the time they schedule their virtual appointments.
'DropBox' is an asynchronous essay review system that allows students to upload a draft for consultant feedback. Students must upload a draft when they reserve a time block. Consultants return submitted essays by midnight two days after submission and often sooner.