All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, blended, or in person.
View College COVID-19 Information
Prior Learning Assessment
Overview & Purpose
Collin College strives to provide meaningful learning opportunities for our students, while also recognizing the knowledge and skills students have gained outside a traditional college setting. The Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process is designed to recognize and evaluate learning gained through diverse educational, work, and/or training experience.
PLA offers students the ability to earn college credit for learning acquired outside of a formal classroom setting. Recognizing students’ learning experiences through a prior learning assessment process helps students complete their degree or certificate sooner at a lower cost.
Advanced Placement (AP) – administered by the College Board, the Advanced Placement (AP) program offers an opportunity for students to complete college level course work in secondary schools. Please click here for more information.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - Administered by the College Board, the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
offers an opportunity for students to earn college credit based on their performance
on certain exams that cover introductory level college course material. Generally,
CLEP exams are computer-based and contain multiple choice questions about the subject
area. Please click here for more information.
International Baccalaureate (IB) - The International Baccalaureate diploma is an international program of courses and exams offered to high school students. Please click here for more information.
Departmental Exam - College credit awarded based an institutional exam (written or skills demonstration) developed by faculty who teach the course and designed to assess learning outcomes related to a specific course. Please click here for more information.
Student Eligibility & Process
- Currently enrolled students or enrolled within the past 5 years
- Completed 3 credit hours at Collin College
- Not currently enrolled in course for which PLA is requested
- Declared a degree program
- Meet requirements specific to the assessment option
- Prior learning credit may not be requested:
- for a previously completed credit course.
- for partial credit.
- more than once for a specific course.
- Credit through PLA may not exceed 75% of student's coursework in a degree or certificate; 25% of the degree or certificate must be completed at Collin College.
- PLA will be added to student's transcript only upon request and after student has completed 3 credit hours at Collin College.
- PLA credit is not computed in student's grade point average (GPA) and is not guaranteed to transfer, students who plan to transfer to another institution should consult with the receiving institution on GPA requirements and course transferability.
- Credit earned through PLA cannot be removed from a student's record or transcript once it has been awarded.
- Determine the PLA option that is right for you and contact the Program Director/Department to start the PLA process
- Submit PLA Application
- How do I know if PLA is right for me? Contact your department or advisor to determine if PLA best supports your academic goals.
- Can PLA save me time in completing my degree? PLA credit may help you complete your degree faster by earning credit for what you already know.
- Can PLA save me money? If the amount of time to complete your degree is shorter, you can save money.