About Our Program
Health Information Management - Home
About Our Program
Health information management (HIM) professionals lead efforts to ensure the availability, accuracy, integrity, and security of all data related to patient healthcare encounters resulting in better clinical and business decisions to enhance healthcare quality. HIM professionals work in a variety of settings throughout the healthcare industry including hospitals, physician offices and clinics, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, government agencies, home care providers, and companies providing services to the medical community.
The Health Information Management program at Collin College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management, a certificate in Data Forensics and Informatics, and a certificate in Medical Coding and Billing.
|Major||Degree/Certificate||Credit Hour Requirement||Special Admission||Available Online|
|Health Information Management||AAS Degree||60||Yes||Yes. There is a professional practice component.|
|Computer Applications for Forensic Informatics||Certificate||16||No||Yes|
|Medical Coding and Billing||Certificate||27||No||Yes|
*All classes are conducted online. There is a professional practice experience that is satisfied in a healthcare facility within Texas. Due to state authorization requirements, Collin College is currently not offering the HIM program to students residing outside of the State of Texas. We regret that we are unable to meet your educational needs and encourage you to continue to pursue your educational goals. In the event you relocate to Texas, we encourage you to reconnect with us.
Interested in Health Information and would like to learn more? Please attend one of our Information sessions on the dates listed below or click on the link to watch an info session presentation. Admissions criteria, program expectations, career options, curriculum, and pre-requisites are outlined. If you have questions, please email the Director, email@example.com.
Eligibility Requirements for application to the Health Information Management program.
- Minimum of 2.5 Collin College GPA
- "C" or better in the pre-requisites courses (HITT1305, HITT2471, BIOL2404)
- Minimum 60% on the TEAS test
- Resident of Texas*
- Complete Collin College reading, writing, and mathematics assessments, placing at the College-Level (TSI Testing)
- Complete all pre-requisites for the HIM Program (HITT1305, HITT2471, BIOL2404) with a "C" or better. To be considered for the program, the applicant should have a 2.5 GPA or better. Please note: a 2.5 GPA or better is required to progress through the HIM program once a student is admitted.
- Completion of the HIM Admission Packet by deadline (2nd Friday in November, for Spring eligibility; 2nd Friday in May, for Fall eligibility.)
- Submit a 500 word essay on the subject, "Why Health Information?" The essay should demonstrate a working knowledge of health information management.
- Request two letters of reference from people you may have worked with or teachers (not family or friends) that can attest to your character and aptitude for healthcare. These letters should be e-mailed directly to: Lydia Danton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule and complete the TEAS exam prior to the application deadline. It is a proctored exam. A minimum score of 60% is required for eligibility.
- Please attend one of our Information Sessions on the dates listed under upcoming events. Admissions criteria, program expectations, career options, curriculum, and pre-requisites are outlined. For a brief overview, take a look at the HIM Information presentation.
Scheduling the TEAS Exam
TEAS exam is an ATI product. Collin College conducts testing a few dates per semester. Students may contact ATI for other locations/available dates. To schedule testing at Collin College – McKinney campus, contact director of HIM, Lydia Danton (LDanton@collin.edu). Include your name, Collin ID (if you have one), your phone number and your test date preference. Use your CougarMail address if you have one. The test dates will be filled on a first come/first served basis so place your requests early. If you have any questions or concerns, contact the director of HIM, Lydia Danton.
Payment will be made the day of the exam via credit card. The test fee is currently $65.00. Please go to www.atitesting.com to create your login information. Username and password MUST be remembered on the day the exam.
Available exam dates on McKinney Campus for Spring 2020:
- March 17th - 9 a.m
- March 25th - 9 a.m.
- March 30th - 9 a.m.
No calculator or outside material is allowed in the test center. Scratch paper will be provided. Only bring a photo ID and pencil with you the day of the test, all other materials will not be permitted. The exam is hosted at the McKinney Campus Room A202.
TEAS is the preferred exam for the HIM Program. If you have scores from the HESI or PSB exams within the last three years, submit them to the HIM program director for consideration.
ATI TEAS Study Guide is available at the McKinney Campus Library.
What Happens Next?
Once you've submitted your application, eligible candidates will be contacted for an interview with HIM faculty/staff. Continue to check your CougarMail for details. Once the interview is complete, a formal "Welcome to the program" will be sent to your CougarMail. Retain this information for verification.
All applications are evaluated in the same manner.
- Pre-requisites: BIOL2404, HITT1305, HITT2471. A grade of "C" or better in each course.
- TEAS evaluations: 60% or better overall score
- Overall GPA (2.5 or higher)
- Letters of reference
Considerations before you apply..
Castle Branch Portal
All documentation will be uploaded and maintained by our document management company, Castle Branch. The one time fee is $30.00.
- Immunizations are required by our PPE partners. It is important students understand they will not be placed in a PPE setting without the proper documentation of immunity. The following immunizations are required:
** Due to state authorization requirements, Collin College is currently not offering the HIM program to students residing outside of the State of Texas. We regret that we are unable to meet your educational needs and encourage you to continue to pursue your educational goals. In the event you relocate to Texas, we encourage you to reconnect with us.
Immunizations are required by our PPE partners. It is important students understand they will not be placed in a PPE setting without the proper documentation of immunity. The following immunizations are required:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Varicella - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Hepatitis B - 3 series shot/titer proving immunity - 6 months to completion
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis - within the last ten years
The following should be completed only prior to PPE placement...
- Tuberculosis Screening - annual screening
- Influenza Vaccination - within current season
Recommended: Hepatitis A - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
Note: It is strongly recommended that applicants self disclose any potential infractions that may hinder PPE placement and career opportunities.
- HITT1301 - Essentials of Health Information Management: Principles and Practices w/Mindtap ISBN: 9780357018200, Health Information Management Technology w/ Access ISBN:978-1-5842651-7-7
- HITT1305(online) - Medical Terminology for Health Professions ISBN: 9781337123099, Cengage Unlimited, 1 term - 4 months ISBN: 9780357700006
- HITT1311 - Health Information Management Technology w/ Access ISBN:978-1-5842651-7-7
- HITT1353 - Fundamentals of Law for Health Informatics and Information Management ISBN: 978158426506
- HITT2339 - Health Information Management Technology with access ISBN: 978-1-5-842651-7-7
- HITT2346 - Revenue Cycle Mgmt. Best Practice w/ access ISBN:9781584265269, Encoderpro.com, Expert-Access (3 months) ISBN:9781285498249
- HITT2435 - Understanding Health Insurance, A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement (Bundle) ISBN: 978-1-3371459-1-6, ICD 10 CM Expert F/Hosp. 2019 Guidelines ISBN: 9781622544349
- HITT2443 - Quality and performance Improvement in Healthcare ISBN:9781584266631, Calculating and Reporting Healthcare Statistics ISBN: 9781584265955
- HITT2272 -
The following will be used in multiple areas of the program and are good resources. It is in your best interest to make sure you have access to them.
- Health Information Technology by Sayles, 5th edition. Publisher: AHIMA
Fundamentals of Law for Health Informatics and Information Management by Brodnik. Publisher: AHIMA
- Necessary web conference accessories (webcam, camera, microphone, etc.)
Healthcare is constantly changing and it is important for students to have a working knowledge of the current issues.
Below are recommended sources for the most current relevant reliable information.
- Health Information Management Technology by Sayles/Gordon, 5th edition. Publisher: AHIMA
- Fundamentals of Law for Health Informatics and Information Management by Brodnik, 3rd Edition. Publisher: AHIMA
- Emperor of All Maladies, by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
- *Complications: A surgeon's notes on an imperfect science, by Atul Gawande
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman
- Cybermedicine: How Computing Empowers Doctors and Patients for Better Health Care, by Warner V. Slack
- Outliers; The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell
- My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD
- The Social Transformation of American Medicine, by Paul Starr, PhD
- Designed to Adapt: Leading Healthcare in Challenging Times, by John Kenagy, MD
- Wall Street Journal
- The Journal by AHIMA (The Journal of AHIMA is available through the library in digital format. Click on the library tab through your CougarWeb.)
- Modern Healthcare
- HealthData Management
Healthcare is constantly changing and it is important for students to have a working knowledge of current issues.
Collin College encourages the participation of our Alumni in the Collin College HIM Alumni organization. Information regarding events and activities is sent via email so if interested, provide your current personal email to the Director. Any questions regarding the group should be sent to Patricia Pierson PPierson@collin.edu, Alumni coordinator.
Interested in pursing additional education?
Check out our partnerships.....
Program Performance Indicators