All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, blended, or in person.
View the College COVID-19 Restart Plan
About Our Program
Health Information Management - Home
About Our Program
Health information management (HIM) professionals lead efforts to ensure the availability, accuracy, integrity, and security of all data related to patient healthcare encounters resulting in better clinical and business decisions to enhance healthcare quality. HIM professionals work in a variety of settings throughout the healthcare industry including hospitals, physician offices and clinics, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, government agencies, home care providers, and companies providing services to the medical community.
The Health Information Management program at Collin College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management, a certificate in Data Forensics and Informatics, and a certificate in Medical Coding and Billing.
|Major||Degree/Certificate||Credit Hour Requirement||Special Admission||Available Online|
|Health Information Management||AAS Degree||60||Yes||Yes. There is a professional practice component.|
|Health Information Foundations for Data Forensics and Informatics||Certificate||18||No||Yes|
|Computer Applications for Forensic Informatics||Certificate||16||No||Yes|
|Medical Coding and Billing||Certificate||27||No||Yes|
*All classes are conducted online. There is a professional practice experience that is satisfied in a healthcare facility within Texas. Due to state authorization requirements, Collin College is currently not offering the HIM program to students residing outside of the State of Texas. We regret that we are unable to meet your educational needs and encourage you to continue to pursue your educational goals. In the event you relocate to Texas, we encourage you to reconnect with us.
The AAS-HIM program is selective and based on a point system. Admission is limited to 25 students per semester. Please read the information and follow the steps below by clicking on the "+" signs.
Interested in Health Information and would like to learn more? Please attend one of our Information sessions on the dates listed below or click on the link to watch an info session presentation. Admissions criteria, program expectations, career options, curriculum, and pre-requisites are outlined. If you have questions, please email the Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility Requirements for application to the Health Information Management program.
- Minimum of 2.5 Collin College GPA
- "C" or better in the pre-requisites courses (HITT1305, HITT2430, BIOL2404)
- Resident of Texas*
- Complete Collin College reading, writing, and mathematics assessments, placing at the College-Level (TSI Testing)
- Complete all pre-requisites for the HIM Program (HITT1305, HITT2430, BIOL2404) with a "C" or better. To be considered for the program, the applicant should have a 2.5 GPA or better. Please note: a 2.5 GPA or better is required to progress through the HIM program once a student is admitted.
- Completion of the HIM Admission Packet by deadline (2nd Friday in November, for Spring eligibility; 2nd Friday in July, for Fall eligibility.)
- Submit a 500 word essay on the subject, "Why Health Information?" The essay should demonstrate a working knowledge of health information management.
- Two letters of reference. These letters should be e-mailed directly to: Lydia Danton at email@example.com
- Please attend one of our Information Sessions on the dates listed under upcoming events. Admissions criteria, program expectations, career options, curriculum, and pre-requisites are outlined. For a brief overview, take a look at the HIM Information presentation.
- Eligible applicants must meet with program director to complete program admission.
TEAS Exam is being waived until further notice.
What Happens Next?
Once you've submitted your application, eligible candidates will be contacted for an interview with HIM faculty/staff. Continue to check your CougarMail for details. Once the interview is complete, a formal "Welcome to the program" will be sent to your CougarMail. Retain this information for verification.
All applications are evaluated in the same manner.
- Pre-requisites: BIOL2404, HITT1305, HITT2430. A grade of "C" or better in each course.
- Overall GPA (2.5 or higher)
- Letters of reference
Considerations before you apply..
Castle Branch Portal
All documentation will be uploaded and maintained by our document management company, Castle Branch. The one time fee is $30.00.
- Immunizations are required by our PPE partners. It is important students understand they will not be placed in a PPE setting without the proper documentation of immunity. The following immunizations are required:
** Due to state authorization requirements, Collin College is currently not offering the HIM program to students residing outside of the State of Texas. We regret that we are unable to meet your educational needs and encourage you to continue to pursue your educational goals. In the event you relocate to Texas, we encourage you to reconnect with us.
Immunizations are required by our PPE partners. It is important students understand they will not be placed in a PPE setting without the proper documentation of immunity. The following immunizations are required:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Varicella - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Hepatitis B - 3 series shot/titer proving immunity - 6 months to completion
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis - within the last ten years
The following should be completed only prior to PPE placement...
- Tuberculosis Screening - annual screening
- Influenza Vaccination - within current season
Recommended: Hepatitis A - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
Note: It is strongly recommended that applicants self disclose any potential infractions that may hinder PPE placement and career opportunities.
Healthcare is constantly changing and it is important for students to have a working knowledge of the current issues.
Below are recommended sources for the most current relevant reliable information.
- Health Information Management Technology by Sayles/Gordon, 5th edition. Publisher: AHIMA
- Fundamentals of Law for Health Informatics and Information Management by Brodnik, 3rd Edition. Publisher: AHIMA
- Emperor of All Maladies, by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
- *Complications: A surgeon's notes on an imperfect science, by Atul Gawande
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman
- Cybermedicine: How Computing Empowers Doctors and Patients for Better Health Care, by Warner V. Slack
- Outliers; The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell
- My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD
- The Social Transformation of American Medicine, by Paul Starr, PhD
- Designed to Adapt: Leading Healthcare in Challenging Times, by John Kenagy, MD
- Wall Street Journal
- The Journal by AHIMA (The Journal of AHIMA is available through the library in digital format. Click on the library tab through your CougarWeb.)
- Modern Healthcare
- HealthData Management
Healthcare is constantly changing and it is important for students to have a working knowledge of current issues.
Collin College encourages the participation of our Alumni in the Collin College HIM Alumni organization. Information regarding events and activities is sent via email so if interested, provide your current personal email to the Director. Any questions regarding the group should be sent to Patricia Pierson PPierson@collin.edu, Alumni coordinator.
Interested in pursing additional education?
Check out our partnerships.....
Program Performance Indicators
The Collin College HIM program boasts:
Graduation Rate: 89.47% (August 2018 - July 2019)
RHIT Exam Pass Rate: 90% (September 2018 - August 2019)
National Average RHIT Exam Pass Rate: 70% (September 2018 - August 2019)
Graduate Satisfaction Rate: 94.12% (August 2018 - July 2019)
The Health Information Management Degree Program at Collin College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)(http://cahiim.org)