All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, hybrid, or in person.
Construction Technology - Carpentry
Build Your Future with a Career in Carpentry!
Carpenters are usually the first tradespeople on the job and the last to leave. Carpenters construct and install concrete forms, building frames, stairways, windows and doors, flooring, and cabinets. Collin College’s program utilizes the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum and provides students with the opportunity to complete the Level 1-3 certifications.
- Study specifications in blueprints and building plans to prepare project layout and determine materials and labor required
- Measure and cut materials to specifications using hand and power tools
- Build or repair cabinets, doors, floors or other wooden fixtures in buildings
- Assemble and fasten materials using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins and/or glue
- Install door and window frames, subflooring, fixtures or supports
- Prepare cost estimates for clients or employers
Key Skills and Abilities
- Active listening and social perceptiveness
- Time management
- Complex problem solving and decision making
- Manual dexterity, arm-hand steadiness and multi-limb coordination
- Oral and written communication skills