All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, hybrid, or in person.
About Our Program
Health Information Management - Home
Prepare students to improve healthcare outcomes by providing the knowledge needed to ensure accessibility, accuracy, availability, integrity, and security of patient health information. We strive to challenge the intellect and develop the skills, character, and ethics of students required to begin and flourish in a career in health information management.
About Our Program
Health information management (HIM) professionals lead efforts to ensure the availability, accuracy, integrity, and security of all data related to patient healthcare encounters resulting in better clinical and business decisions to enhance healthcare quality. HIM professionals work in a variety of settings throughout the healthcare industry including hospitals, physician offices and clinics, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, government agencies, home care providers, and companies providing services to the medical community.
The Health Information Management program at Collin College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management, a certificate in Medical Coding and Billing, and a certificate in Data Management Applications for Healthcare.
|Major||Degree/Certificate||Credit Hour Requirement||Special Admission||Available Online*|
|Health Information Management||AAS Degree||60||Yes||Yes. There is a professional practice component**.|
|Data Management Applications for Healthcare||Certificate||17||No||Yes|
|Medical Coding and Billing||Certificate||27||No||Yes|
*All classes are conducted online. There is a Professional Practice Experience (PPE) that is satisfied in a healthcare facility within Texas. Students must present in Texas for the 80 hour PPE.
**Professional practice component requires students to show proof of vaccination, submit to background check and drug screening.
The AAS-HIM program is a selective admission program. Students must complete the the application process to enroll in HITT -2361. Admission is limited to 25 students per semester. Please read the information and follow the steps below by clicking on the "+" signs.
Students must be accepted to the HIM Program to complete the AAS-HIM Degree
Interested in Health Information and would like to learn more? Please attend one of our Information sessions on the dates listed below or click on the link to watch an info session presentation. Admissions criteria, program expectations, career options, curriculum, and pre-requisites are outlined. If you have questions, please email the Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility Requirements for application to the Health Information Management program.
- Admission to Collin College
- "C" or better in the pre-requisites courses (HITT1305, HITT2430, BIOL2404,ENGL1301,MATH1342)
- Minimum of 2.5 Collin College GPA
- Complete Collin College reading, writing, and mathematics assessments, placing at the College-Level (TSI Testing)
- Complete all pre-requisites for the HIM Program (HITT1305,HITT2430,BIOL2404,ENGL1301,MATH1342) with a "C" or better. To be considered for the program, the applicant should have a 2.5 GPA or better. Please note: a 2.5 GPA or better is required to progress through the HIM program once a student is admitted.
- Completion of the HIM Admission Packet by deadline (2nd Friday in November, for Spring eligibility; 2nd Friday in May, for Fall eligibility.)
- Submit a 500 word essay on the subject, "Why Health Information?" The essay should demonstrate a working knowledge of health information management.
- Two letters of reference. These letters should be e-mailed directly to: Lydia Danton at email@example.com
- Please attend one of our Information Sessions on the dates listed under upcoming events. Admissions criteria, program expectations, career options, curriculum, and pre-requisites are outlined. For a brief overview, take a look at the HIM Information presentation.
- Eligible applicants must meet with program director to complete program admission.
What Happens Next?
Once you've submitted your application, eligible candidates will be contacted for an interview with HIM faculty/staff. Continue to check your CougarMail for details. Once the interview is complete, a formal "Welcome to the program" will be sent to your CougarMail. Retain this information for verification.
All applications are evaluated in the same manner.
- Pre-requisites: BIOL2404, HITT1305, HITT2430, ENGL1301, MATH1342. A grade of "C" or better in each course.
- Overall GPA (2.5 or higher)
- Letters of reference
Considerations before you apply..
All immunization documentation must be provided before a permit is granted to enroll in HITT2361. The program
- Immunizations are required by our PPE partners. It is important students understand they will not be placed in a PPE setting without the proper documentation of immunity. The following immunizations are required:
** Due to state authorization requirements, Collin College is currently not offering the HIM program to students residing outside of the State of Texas.
Immunizations are required by our PPE partners. It is important students understand they will not be placed in a PPE setting without the proper documentation of immunity. The following immunizations are required:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Varicella - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Hepatitis B - 3 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis - within the last ten years
The following should be completed only prior to PPE placement...
- Tuberculosis Screening - annual screening
- Influenza Vaccination - within current season
Recommended: Hepatitis A - 2 series shot/titer proving immunity
- Student Handbook (Acknowledgment and Confidentiality Statement)
- HIPAA Acknowledgment Form
Note: It is strongly recommended that applicants self disclose any potential infractions that may hinder PPE placement and career opportunities.
Healthcare is constantly changing and it is important for students to have a working knowledge of the current issues.
Below are recommended sources for the most current relevant reliable information.
- Health Information Management Technology by Sayles/Gordon, 6th edition. Publisher: AHIMA
- Fundamentals of Law for Health Informatics and Information Management by Brodnik, 3rd Edition. Publisher: AHIMA
- Emperor of All Maladies, by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
- *Complications: A surgeon's notes on an imperfect science, by Atul Gawande
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman
- Cybermedicine: How Computing Empowers Doctors and Patients for Better Health Care, by Warner V. Slack
- Outliers; The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell
- My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD
- The Social Transformation of American Medicine, by Paul Starr, PhD
- Designed to Adapt: Leading Healthcare in Challenging Times, by John Kenagy, MD
- Wall Street Journal
- The Journal by AHIMA (The Journal of AHIMA is available through the library in digital format. Click on the library tab through your CougarWeb.)
- Modern Healthcare
- HealthData Management
Healthcare is constantly changing and it is important for students to have a working knowledge of current issues.
Collin College encourages the participation of our Alumni in the Collin College HIM Alumni organization. Information regarding events and activities is sent via email so if interested, provide your current personal email to the Director. Any questions regarding the group should be sent to April Adams ACAdams@collin.edu, Alumni coordinator.
Interested in pursing additional education?
Check out our partnerships.....
Applications for Healthcare
|Medical Coding and Billing||27||$1,674.00||$3,159.00||$5,454.00|
$2 per term student record fee is not included in the above table.
*Includes $200.00 minimum required by law.
**All fees subject to change upon approval of the Collin Board of Trustees.
Retention Rate 93.10% (August 2020 - July 2021)
Graduate Satisfaction Rate: 100% (August 2020 - July 2021)
Employment Rate 77.78%
Of the 77.78% Employed 88.98% are Working in Healthcare
The Health Information Management accreditor of Collin College is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for an Associate of Science degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2022. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.