- Full-time Faculty/Staff/Administrators Sick Leave Benefits
- Critical Illness Leave Benefits
- Sick Leave Pool Benefits
Sick Leave Accrual Rate for Full-time Employees
12 days/year at 8 hours/month
The purpose of accrued/earned sick leave is for employee use when absence is necessary due to the illness or doctor/dentist appointment of the employee or the employee’s minor/dependent child, or the employee’s spouse, in cases where medical care of the spouse is necessary.
- In the event of illness or any other unscheduled absence, the employee must contact the supervisor before their scheduled starting time, or as soon as possible, to notify the supervisor of the illness or event and advise the supervisor of the circumstances and the anticipated length of the absence.
- Up to a maximum of three days (24 hours) per fiscal year of accrued sick leave may
be used for the illness, medical or dental appointments of extended family members,
which includes mother, father, adult children, grandmother, grandfather, grandchildren,
sister, brother and in-laws. Step and foster relationships of the above are included
in the definition of extended family members.
An example of the application of the three-day/24-hour extended family maximum: Assuming that a) an employee has at least 24 available hours of accrued sick leave and b) has not used any leave for extended family members during the fiscal year: The employee may use 4 hours of sick leave to take his/her grandchild to the doctor and would have a balance of 20 hours of his/her total accrued sick leave accrual available to assist any other eligible extended family members during that fiscal year. The request for Sick Leave for extended family members must be made on a Request for Leave form, indicating the family relationship.
- Employees who have been continuously employed for at least twelve months in a benefits-eligible position may use up to six weeks (240 hours) of earned sick leave upon the adoption of a child, in conjunction with Family and Medical Leave. The employee must apply for Family and Medical Leave through Human Resources.
- Employees may accrue up to 720 hours of sick leave.
- Unused sick leave is not payable at termination of employment or retirement.
- Faculty teaching on an extra-service basis who are absent from class due to illness may use Sick Leave hours equal to the number of contact hours missed to cover the absence or their pay will be reduced based on the number of contact hours missed. These hours are in addition to any sick leave/leave without pay used to cover the primary assignment.
If you need more information or have questions, contact Collin College HR at the Collin Higher Education Center (CHEC):Christina Canales at 972-599-3164 or Mae Francis at 972-548-6659.
The purpose of Critical Illness Leave is to provide all full-time benefits eligible employees up to three days (24 hours) of leave with pay for critical illness of an immediate family member.
“Critical illness” for this policy is defined as: confinement in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Critical Care Unit (CCU), or in hospice care.
“Immediate family” for this policy is defined as: the employee’s spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, children, grandparents, grandchildren, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, or other person who occupies a position of similar position/role/standing in the family of the employee. An employee's step and foster relationships with the above are included in the definition of “immediate family.” [DEC(Local)]
Questions regarding eligibility shall be directed to the Human Resources Office. If you need more information or have questions, contact Collin College HR at the Collin Higher Education Center in McKinney: Christina Canales at 972-599-3164 or Mae Francis at 972-548-6659.
The Sick Leave Pool (SLP) is an income replacement resource for full-time employees who have completed their 90 day probationary period, who face a serious injury or illness and who have exhausted all of their own available paid leave benefits. The SLP exists due to donations from employees who have contributed hours from their unused Sick Leave hours.
While separate forms are also required for documentation of leave of absence, to apply for paid leave hours from the Sick Leave Pool:
- The employee completes the Employee SLP Request form and forwards it HR.
- The employee has his/her physician complete the SLP Medical Certification Form and forward it to HR.
SLP requests are eligible for an award if the employee meets all eligibility requirements, all required information is submitted, and hours are available from the Pool. Hours are awarded based on a SLP table of diagnosis codes. The maximum Sick Leave Pool hours, per employee condition/cause, is a total of 200 hours.
Employees who would like to contribute to the SLP may do so in writing and upon request by the Human Resources Office. Requests for donations are usually made annually.
Contact Collin College HR at the Collin Higher Education Center (CHEC): Christina Canales at 972-599-3164 or Mae Francis at 972-548-6659.