All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, hybrid, or in person.
Modern Automotive Service and Repair Certificate Series
Collin College's Modern Automotive Service and Repair Certificate Series is designed to give you hands-on experience as it relates to how the modern automobile operates, diagnosis procedures, and service and repair procedures.
Upon successful completion of the entire course series, you will be able to operate modern scan tools, perform a multi-point vehicle inspection and be able to identify basic safety and maintenance concerns. You will learn how to service and repair modern automobiles at the entry level position, and you will move on to acquire hands-on experience to service and repair modern steering and suspension systems, and modern automobile braking systems.
To qualify for the certificate of completion, you must register and attend 100% of the following required courses:
- Introduction to Modern Automotive Service and Repair
- This module covers Lab and Shop safety, an overview of what tools you may need to service a vehicle, how to perform a proper multi point inspection and identify problems, raise a vehicle with and without access to a lift, and use of scan tools and their capabilities.
- Introduction to Modern Automotive Electrical Accessories
- This module goes over basic automotive electrical systems, covering intro electrical theory, the main components of a vehicle's electrical system, tools needed for diagnosis, and how to read wiring diagrams so that you can understand how the electrical system in a vehicle works and can do basic diagnostics and repairs.
- Introduction to Modern Automobile Braking Systems
- The final module covers automotive brake systems, familiarizing you with the different types, their components, and how to perform basic services and repairs on them.
All of these three sections will primarily be lab based, where you will perform inspections, diagnose issues, and perform basic services such as a brake pad change, oil change, and/or other introductory services to get hands on experience with the systems you will be studying.