All campuses are open and ready to serve students virtually, blended, or in person.
View College COVID-19 Information
Collin College Jazz Festival
2021 Collin "Virtual" Jazz Fest
Guest Artist: Andre Hayward
April 30-May 1, 2021
Collin Jazz Fest was established in 1993. In a typical year we would be busy preparing to welcome high school and middle school jazz bands from across the region to our campus for the annual Collin Jazz Festival, always one of the biggest highlights of our year! This year, due to Covid-19, we are hosting the first ever Collin College "Virtual" Jazz Festival occurring April 30-May 1, 2021.
We are excited to announce that our special guest artist is world-renowned jazz trombonist
Andre Hayward. Mr. Hayward has performed with an incredible array of artists including
Roy Hargrove, Joe Williams, Slide Hampton, John Lewis, Mingus Dynasty Big Band, Gerald
Wilson, Kirk Whalum, Jimmy Heath,
Duke Ellington Orchestra, Illinois Jacquet Big Band, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, San Francisco Jazz Collective, and Clayton–Hamilton Jazz Orchestra.
Here is a brief description of how our “virtual” festival will work:
• Friday and Saturday evening concerts featuring guest artist Andre Hayward will be livestreamed with links provided to you and your students.
• Guest artist Andre Hayward’s masterclass (mid-day on Saturday) will be livestreamed with links provided to you and your students.
• Each student ensemble will have a 45-minute “virtual” performance slot.
• Student ensemble performances may be recorded and submitted in advance or performed “live” via Zoom from your school’s band room or auditorium.
• Adjudicators will listen to performances “live” via Zoom. After listening to your “live” or recorded performance, whatever time remains between the end of your performance and the end of your allotted time will be devoted to a clinic via Zoom from one of our adjudicators. You could play a few tunes and get a long clinic, or more tunes and get a shorter clinic—it's all up to you.
Our festival is designed as an educational festival, so while we do not give 1st-2nd-3rd place trophies or UILstyle ratings, we do recognize outstanding bands with plaques and outstanding performer certificates will be awarded to deserving students. We hope that you can join us for what promises to be a richly rewarding experience!