The following information is subject to change at any time due to state or immigration laws/regulations.


To be considered a Texas resident for tuition purposes, students must have clearly established a domicile in Texas for the 12 months  preceding enrollment.   A student's residency classification determines the tuition rate  for each course hour of registration.  (See  the tuition rate table for current tuition costs by residency classification and hours of enrollment.)  Documentation of Texas residency is required .

Students on certain types of visas are not eligible for in-state tuition.  Permanent residents are eligible for in-state tuition once the 12-month requirement is met.  In some cases, a high school transcript and a copy of the Texas Driver's License or ID card will be required for admissions.  These items will be used to facilitate the decision about a student's residency status.

Students not documenting county or state residency prior to the census date of the term will be charged the higher rate.  Tuition refunds due to residency changes will only be made for college errors if documentation was not submitted before census (see the academic calendar for term census dates).


In-County, Out-of-County and Out-of-State/Country Classification

Once your in-state Texas residency status is established, your classification as in-county (Collin County resident) or out-of-county is based on where you reside.

If you are classified as a Texas resident and own residential real property or live in Collin County, you are eligible for the in-county tuition rate. If you meet in-state requirements but live outside Collin County, you will pay the out-of-county tuition rate. If you move outside of Collin County on or before a semester's census date, you must pay the additional tuition.


In-County Residency

To establish in-county residency, you may present a valid Texas driver's license in your name showing your current Collin County address or one of the following:

A current signed lease agreement in your name showing a Collin County address

  • A current automobile registration showing a Collin County address

  • A copy of a current deed and/or property tax statement showing ownership of Collin County property

  • Business or official correspondence to your current Collin County address (utility bill, phone bill, billing statements from department stores or credit agencies within the last 30 days)

  • Car insurance dated within the last 30 days with a Collin County address

  • Bank statement within the last 30 days with a Collin County address

  • Pay stubs within the last 30 days with a Collin County address


Students who have established Texas residency and who reside outside of Collin County on or before the census day for the term will be classified as out-of-county.   


Out-of-state and out-of-country

Students who have not resided in Texas for the 12 months preceding registration will be classified as out-of-state.  Most students holding temporary visas will be classified as out-of-country. Contact the Admissions Office for visas eligible for in-state residency.


Change of address, name, etc. must be reported promptly to the Admissions Office. This enables students to receive registration and other information from various college departments and programs. Changes of address affecting residency classification should be reported promptly to the Admissions Office, along with documentation of current address. Name and CollegeWide ID number (CWID) changes require photocopies of the student's Social Security card or Texas Driver's License.

Students (under the age of 24) who are a dependent of a Texas resident should contact the Admissions Office for more information. Documentation of Texas residency will be required to prove residency.

Residency forms: 

Collin College reserves the right to collect additional tuition and fees if it is determined that the student registered under an incorrect residency status or if tuition and fees are increased by the Collin Board of Trustees.

Waivers and Exemptions 
Eligibility for waivers and exemptions is determined each term by the Admissions Office or the Financial Aid Department, depending on the specific waiver or exemption.  Contact either office for a complete listing and/or more detailed information.

See the Tuition Waivers and Exemptions List.


Ad Valorem Waivers
Students who have not lived in Texas for the 12 months preceding registration, but who own property in Collin County, may be eligible for an ad valorem waiver.  A copy of the deed or most recent property tax statement is required for verification.  If this waiver is based on a student's (under age 24) parent's property ownership, go to the Admissions Office for the proper form to complete.   Once Texas residency has been established (12 months), ad valorem waivers expire and additional residency documentation must be provided.  Property owners on most types of temporary visas are not eligible for the ad valorem waiver.  Students and/or their parents must generally be U.S. citizens or permanent residents to be eligible for an ad valorem waiver.


Senior Citizens
Students age 65 and older (by the first day of the semester) who are Texas residents are eligible for up to six credit hours of tuition exemption per semester on a space-available basis; other fees will be charged per current catalog tuition fees.  Collin College has three terms per academic year - Fall, Spring and Summer.
Contact the Admissions Office to verify senior waiver status each term, prior to payment of tuition and fees.