When an employee needs accommodations under the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA), the employee and/or employee's manager should contact the Benefits Team to begin the process of determining eligibility for accommodations.
The ADA contains a specific definition of a disability: an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
- The employee must complete the Accommodation Request Form and submit the necessary medical documentation to the Benefits Team.
- HR will work with the employee to confirm the request submitted and how it will support the employee to accomplish the essential functions of their job.
- Employees can submit documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (972) 599-3156.
- Medical documentation must be received by the Benefits Team within 15 calendar days of the request submission date. Delays or failure to return information may lead to the request getting denied.
- Once medical documentation is received, the review process will begin within 3 business days.
Departmental Scheduling for Regular and Recurring Services (Interpreters/CARTS)
- An individual approved by the College for an ADA accommodation involving services such as interpreters or captionists/CARTs will work through their department regarding scheduling those services.
- Collin College's Purchasing Department has a list of vendors from which departments can choose from. These can also be located within Workday.
Interpreting services for some college-wide events, such as graduation and All College Day, are generally scheduled by either the Registrar or the event organizer. HR does not always know when an employee is planning to participate in an event or activity, so it is important for the employee to work with his/her department or the event organizer when he/she is scheduled to participate in a non-departmental event to ensure appropriate interpreting/CART-writing services are provided but at the same time ensure that services are not double-scheduled.
Job-Related Accommodations Request
Collin Higher Education Center
Human Resources Office
3452 Spur 399, Room #339
McKinney, TX 75069
Jennifer DuPlessis, Ph.D.
Chief Human Resources Officer
CHEC - Room 349